Can you say you’ve directly impacted over 40,000 lives? Lisa Moon can!
Tuesday, December 03, 2013
Today is International Day of Persons with Disabilities and Champions Career Centre is proud that our fearless leader Lisa Moon is a finalist for a Community Impact Award in Calgary. Whether she is officially awarded the prize this afternoon or not, there's no doubting her winning achievements and dedication. Here is Lisa's story.
In 2000, an innovative agency was established in Calgary. The first of its kind, Champions Career Centre was created as a PAN disability agency whose sole purpose was to focus on increasing employment of persons with disabilities.
The first person hired as a member of the Champions Career Centre team was Lisa Moon. Lisa came from a rich background that included working with programs for another underutilized group – youth. Lisa’s experience in building systems, establishing effective processes, and strengthening relationships was the cornerstone of Champions.
Over the last 13 years, Lisa has been instrumental in building Champions Career Centre and helping to establish Champions as specialists creating a fundamental shift in perceptions of persons with disabilities in the workplace. She now proudly holds the Executive Director position.
As a life-long learner and inclusive leader, Lisa’s work includes:• Presentations at various conferences focused on career planning, disability and accommodation requirements, and establishing a culture of diversity and inclusion.
• Working with employers on disability and diversity policies, working to increase the presence of persons with disabilities in the workplace.
• Coaching clients on career planning, job search, disclosure and employment retention
• Promoting the inclusion of persons with disabilities in the greater Calgary community through media interviews, social media and networking.
• Chair of the Calgary Chapter of the Career Development Association of Alberta.
• Co-Chair of the Private Career Development Contractors Association (PCDC).
• Board Member – Persons with Disabilities Chief Advisory Board, Calgary Police Service.
• Committee Member – Community Futures Treaty 7 Annual Disability Symposium.
• Member – Access Calgary Focus Group.
Under Lisa’s leadership, Champions has reached number of impressive milestones – including
- Recipient of the 2011 Premier’s Council on the Status of Persons with Disabilities – Award of Excellence in Employment.
- Helped over 40,000 individuals with disabilities with their employment goals
- Delivered over 15,000 workshops
- Since 2009, 85% of clients who secured employment were still working at 6 month.
Lisa’s impact on the community knows no bounds. The legacy she continues to leave extends with every life she touches, every conversation she has, and every hour she spends promoting the vision of an inclusive community. The lives Lisa has impacted include, but are not limited to
• Clients who have accessed Champions Career Centre services
• Community partners
• Champions Career Centre employees (past and present)
• Champions Career Centre Board Members (past and present)
• Fellow members of the various Boards and Committee’s Lisa sits on
• Delegates at Conferences where Lisa presents
There is hardly an evening or weekend that goes by where Lisa isn’t doing something to help support the vision of an inclusive world for Persons with Disabilities.
Help us recognize her tireless work and the impact she’s had on our community.
Help honour Lisa through a Community Impact Award.