Disability Awareness: Parkinson's Disease

Thursday, April 11, 2013

April is Parkinson's Awareness Month and an excellent opportunity to raise awareness and education about this disease. About 1 in 250 people in Canada over the age of 40 live with the disease, with the rates increasing to 1 in 100 for those over 65. However, in rare cases the condition can appear as early as childhood.

You are probably familiar with the most common symptom of Parkinson's Disease, which is uncontrollable tremors or shaking. Over the past 20 years we have watched as high profile celebrities, like Muhammad Ali and Michael J. Fox, have battled with the disease - often in the public eye.

The symptoms of Parkinson's extend beyond tremors and shaking. Stiffness and rigidity in the muscles, impaired balance, fatigue and problems with handwriting or posture can all be linked to Parkinson's. All of the symptoms are related to the death of cells in the brain which produce dopamine, a chemical which carries signals between the nerves that control movement and coordination. As a degenerative disorder, the symptoms worsen over time as the brain produces less dopamine as the disease progresses.

Currently there is no cure for Parkinson's, but there are many drugs that can help treat symptoms of the disease. Parkinson's progresses at different speeds in each individual and drugs can have varying effects on each person. 13 years after announcing his departure from television because of his battle with Parkinson's, Michael J. Fox is returning to a new show this fall thanks to a new drug regimen.

With the average age of diagnosis being in the mid-50's, there are many people who have to finish their careers or working lives while managing symptoms of Parkinson's. Tomorrow we will discuss Parkinson's in the workplace and accommodations which can help employees who are living with this condition.

In the meantime, please visit the Parkinson Society of Canada to further educate yourself on the disease, spread the word about Parkinson's, and help support the ongoing efforts to find a cure.

If you would like to read an account of what it may be like to live with Parkinson's Disease, then please read the personal story of Stephen, one of our volunteers here at Champions.

Labels: , , ,


5 Comments:

At 13 July 2016 at 01:47 , Blogger karen disch said...

I've been married for 5 years and have been living with HIV for the past seven. Before being diagnosed I was the typical housewife who takes care of her husband and children. I'm now also a vendor. I sell candy on the street. And I also give talks to fellow HIV-positive people. HIV has taught me that life goes on and there's always a tomorrow. But I am here now to give thanks to Dr Busy,for the good life he has placed in me,for him to cure my illness i can't called him God rather he is a God sent he is really gifted to help people with their various sickness you can as well contact him with this e-mail drakugbespellhome1@gmail.com or whats app 2347061824880 You can also contact him for any kind of illness like..pregnancy herbal medicine
cancer cure,hepatitis herbal medicine,genital herpes cure,warts, get ex back,cure,Diabetes herbal medicine,herbal medicine for motor neuron disease, Parkinson disease,wining of lottery number, infertility medicine

 
At 27 December 2016 at 04:52 , Blogger Brown lisa said...


MUST READ TO EVERYONE THAT NEEDS HELP

Hello everybody ,I never believed i was ever going to be cured of Parkinson disease DR.KEMI has given me reasons to be happy, i was having this Parkinson disease for 2years and all effort trying to get cured proved negative, but when i came on the Internet i saw great testimony about Dr KEMI from Sandra Coleman on how he was able to cure her from Parkinson disease. This person said great things about this man and advice we contact him for any Disease problem that DR.KEMI can be of help, well i decided to give him a try, he requested for my information which i sent to him, and he told me he was going to prepare for me a healing portion, which he wanted me to take for days, and after which i should go back to the hospital for check up, well after taking all the treatment sent to me by DR.KEMI i went back to the Hospital for check up, and now i have been confirmed that i had been cured from Parkinson disease. Friends, you can reach DR.KEMI regarding any diseases.He is the one only i can show you all. so i will recommend to everyone in the world that are having any kind of virus to visit DR.KEMI for permanent cure, via mail kemilovespelltemple@gmail.com, or visit his websiteshttp://ehinomespellcaster.yolasite.com, ,,,.... DR.KEMI specializes in curing: HERPES, HIV/AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES,WEAK ERECTION,PARKINSON DISEASE and PREMATURE EJACULATION and many more.You can also contact him 0n +2349066484033

 
At 13 March 2017 at 17:10 , Blogger Bonnie Blum said...

I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease at the age of 37. My father had it, so I don't know if it's my luck or heredity. My first problem was fine motor skills, especially writing. After five years of waiting, I saw a neurologist who confirmed my fears. I was immediately started on Sinemet. All of this was 22 years ago. I will be 59 in a few days. I have had good luck with the Sinemet and other meds like Mirapex, but I was extremely tired of it. I have also noticed cognitive decline, but that is also related to a now-removed brain tumor.i had to look for an alternative treatment. I read in a health forum of a herbal clinic in Johannesburg who has a successful treatment to P.D, i immediately contacted the herbal clinic via their website www.Healthherbalclinic.weebly.com and purchased the parkinson's herbal formula. I received the parkinson's herbal treatment via courier and immediately commenced usage, i only used the herbal remedy for 7 weeks all my symptoms were unbelievably reversed, i did another series of test i was confirmed free of parkinson's. Visit www.healthherbalclinic.weebly.com or email healthherbalclinic@gmail.com

 
At 12 April 2017 at 01:16 , Blogger Jerry Godwin said...

It still unbelievable to believe that HIV AIDS still has cure, me and my Husband has been suffering from HIV AIDS for so many years and we have search for help but we were unable to find one, i was told that there was no cure for HIV AIDS but somehow i believe that there was someone out that has a cure, so that was how i went in search for s solution on how to get cured of HIV AIDS and surprisingly i saw comment on daily news papers where lady testify of how Dr obor herbal medicine cure her, i was so confused because first i thought that there was no cure but now seeing that someone outside has a cure, i thoughts of it as a scam but something told me to give it a try and when i did he reply me and assure me that me and my husband will be cured once we receive his herbal medicine, that was how he prepared it, and send my herbal medication that me and my husband used that cure me and my husband in Just 2 weeks and we were tested HIV AIDS Negative. All Thanks to the powerful Dr obor for his help in my life. contact him on his email OBORSPELLHOME@GMAIL.COM
whats sup him on +2348105813057

 
At 19 April 2017 at 16:37 , Blogger Sonia Fisher said...

My grandma had Parkinson's disease, she is about 80 years old it was detected 7 years ago. it was getting more difficult to live for her, because of stiff muscles she can't even move. L-dopa and carbidopa medicines are given, but won"t give much relief. She can"t eat food and the skin is damaging forming ganglia. This is may be the last stage of disease.. nothing was really working to help her condition. Finally she started on parkinson's herbal formula i purchased from Health Herbal Clinic, i read alot of positive reviews from other patients who used the parkinson's herbal treatment. she used the herbal remedy for 7 weeks, its effects on parkinson's is amazing, all her symptoms gradually faded away, she feed very more freely by herself now! (Visit www. healthherbalclinic. weebly. com or email at healthherbalclinic@ gmail. com) I recommend this Parkinson's herbal formula for all Parkinson's Patients.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]