International Day of Persons with Disabilities in Calgary, December 3rd
Thursday, November 29, 2012
The event is hosted at Centre Street Church from 10:00 am to 2:30 pm, with the main program being from 11:30 am - 12:30 pm.
The event is hosted by Const. Patty Desmoreaux of the Calgary Police Services Diversity Resources Team, and features performances by local talent. The event will include:
- Award presentation to Calgarians who have had a significant impact on persons with disabilities in the community
- An information fair featuring local businesses
- A performance by Renfrew Educational Services Children's Choir
- Displays about disability services and organizations
- Art display and show by local artists, featuring the piece “A Meaningful Life”
- Interactive user friendly sessions open and accessible to all ages and abilities including: Music Therapy, and Horticulture Therapy
This year's theme is "Celebrating Inclusiveness and Community”.
The event in Calgary is one of many celebrations taking place across Alberta, Canada and worldwide that brings together persons with a disability and the general community and aims to:
- Showcase the skills, abilities, contributions and achievements of persons with a disability
- Promote a positive image of persons with a disability
- Involve persons with a disability and the broader community in activities to celebrate and raise awareness of International Day of Persons with Disabilities.